How To Set Up A Subscription Service On Shopify In 3 Steps?
Table Of Contents
A Shopify subscription service might help you turn infrequent consumers into committed customers. This wise move ensures stable income streams and encourages client loyalty. That's why subscription firms grew 3.7x times faster than the S&P 500 over the last decade.
We'll simplify the Shopify subscription service setup in this complete tutorial. We've simplified the process into preparation, billing, and content. Join us as we explore these unexplored waters and discover the keys to a successful subscription model, whether you're a merchant or an entrepreneur.
What Is A Subscription Business?
A subscription business model involves offering items or services to clients regularly in return for recurrent payments.
This business model transformed the subscription notion by incorporating it into product-based enterprises. It simply provides recurrent physical delivery of things that clients need regularly.
There are three sorts of subscription box services on Shopify:
Replenishment Subscription Boxes
This business model allows clients to subscribe to items for automated delivery at a set time. You may schedule subscription box deliveries and bill customers on a certain date.
According to a consumer study, food boxes were the most popular service, with almost 30% of those polled purchasing subscription boxes in this category.
However, any items that are used or consumed on a regular basis and need replenishment are appropriate for this business strategy.
For example, Bean Box Coffee delivers freshly roasted, small-batch beans to your house each month. It is ideal for the coffee enthusiast who prefers diversity.
The target demographic for replenishment subscription boxes includes busy professionals, forgetful people, and anybody who appreciates ease and consistency. It's about simplifying purchasing and assuring a steady supply.
Curation Subscription Business
As the name implies, the curation business model focuses on providing curated or tailored items based on a theme or consumer preferences. Products with a larger possibility for customization or novelty regularly are more suited to this business strategy.
Thus, clothes, fashion, and cosmetics may thrive under this strategy.
For instance, Goldie Box offers luxurious cosmetics for mindful consumers. Expect high-end, vegan goods, frequently owned by BIPOC, to arrive in stylish, reusable packaging.
Access Subscription Business
In an access subscription model, clients pay a recurring price (monthly or annually) for exclusive advantages rather than simply the product itself. This might include lower rates, free delivery, first access to new releases, tailored suggestions, or even special events.
This type is ideal for organizations with regular customers. Reward your loyal clients with useful rewards, making them feel like VIPs and encouraging them to return for more. Consider software businesses providing special functionality to members or online retailers providing early access to limited-edition items.
For example, BarkBox spoils your furry buddy with themed toys and goodies sent monthly, as well as special birthday boxes and early access to limited-edition items, making your pooch the happiest pup on the block and a pampered member of the BarkBox pack.
Recommend Some Shopify Subscription Apps
In this part, we'll explore various Shopify subscription applications with distinct features to simplify your subscription setup. These applications may boost your subscription service, whether you're an eCommerce specialist or an aspiring entrepreneur:
Appstle℠ Subscriptions App
Appstle℠ Subscriptions App boasts a powerful arsenal of features designed to streamline and optimize your Shopify subscription service setup.
Rating: 4.9/5 stars of 2800+ reviews.
Here are the key highlights:
- All-in-one platform: Manage all aspects of your subscriptions, from creating tiers and setting pricing to processing orders and handling cancellations.
- Flexible plans: Choose the plan that best suits your needs, from simple recurring orders to complex "build-a-box" models.
- Automated billing: Forget manual billing! Apostle handles automatic billing cycles and renewals, ensuring smooth and predictable revenue.
- The free option is provided until your business generates $500 monthly from subscriptions.
- Paid plans start at $10 to $100 monthly and enable you to sell subscriptions worth up to $5000- $10000 monthly.
Seal Subscriptions App
Seal Subscriptions App focuses on simplicity and control, offering key features to make your Shopify subscription journey smooth and successful.
Rating: 4.9/5 stars of 1190+ reviews.
Here are the key highlights:
- Minimal configuration: Install the app, create a rule, and watch recurring revenue flow. No complex setup hoops to jump through.
- Full control: Manage every aspect of your subscriptions, from products and discounts to churn rates and cancellations.
- Classic & prepaid subscriptions: Offer flexible options to cater to different customer preferences.
- Free installation plan for up to 150 subscribers.
- The paid plan begins at USD $4.95/month or $41.58 once every year for up to 750 memberships.
Recharge Subscriptions offers a powerful and comprehensive platform designed to not just set up your Shopify subscription service, but also optimize it for long-term growth and customer retention.
Rating: 4.6/5 star of 1599+ reviews.
Here are the key highlights:
- Seamless shopping journeys: Create frictionless subscription experiences from browsing to checkout, boosting conversion rates and recurring revenue.
- Loyalty programs: Design tiered reward programs with exclusive benefits, personalized experiences, and incentives for repeat customers, increasing overall LTV.
- Bundles and customization: Offer pre-curated product bundles or let customers build their own, driving higher average order value.
- Personalized "Flows": Automate triggered emails, SMS, and pop-ups based on customer behavior to address passive and active churn, win back lapsed subscribers, and encourage deeper engagement.
- This app has a different price structure. The regular plan does not have monthly fees, however there is a 1% + 10¢ transaction cost.
- If you want more sophisticated capabilities, such as an improved customer portal and analytics, this program offers a Pro package for $499 per month.
Ways to Set Up A Shopify Subscription Box With Third-App
Shopify only handles one-time payments, so you'll need to use a subscription service to manage regular purchases. Your subscription app will also let you configure subscription characteristics.
- Only the Online Store and Custom Storefront sell subscription items.
- You must choose one of the following themes: Shopify 2.0 themes, released on 15.0 or later, and Brooklyn on 17.0 or later.
- All merchants installing subscription apps on Shopify must utilize Shopify Payments, Stripe, Paypal Express Gateway, Apple Pay, Shop Pay, or Authorized.Net.
- You must add a product before setting up a subscription service on Shopify. Read how to add production and digital production on Shopify if you don't know how.
Ready to turn your passion for curated goods into a thriving subscription box on Shopify? Let's dive into the exciting world of recurring customer happiness with these easy-peasy steps:
Step 1: Installing Shopify Subscription App
After setting up subscription plans, users may make recurring purchases. Manage your subscription plans and contracts with the Shopify Subscriptions app and show them on your online shop. A new subscription policy and email alerts are added to your shop by the app.
To guide this post, we will install the Appstle℠ Subscriptions App.
Step 2: Create Subscription Plan
After installation of most other subscription apps, you'll be requested to finish the program's setup procedure. This setup procedure will likely contain inquiries about your company and the types of subscriptions you want to offer.
However, with Appstle℠, you can easily set up subscription selling plans for your items, including discounts and paying intervals, by clicking the “Next step” button.
Now, you can create your subscription plan and set a name for it. Then, choose your product (available in your shop). You can also choose a variation if you want.
Next, fill in the information for your subscription plan. The information included:
- Order billing type: They suggest 3 kinds of subscription billing plans, including Pay As You Go (Auto-renew), prepaid One-Time, and prepaid Auto-renew.
- Order frequency name: The term order frequency relates to the frequency with which orders are delivered or fulfilled. This is the name your consumer will see on the product information page. Weekly, 'Monthly', or more.
- Order frequency description: This is the description that your consumer will find on the product details page. For example, a weekly Pay-As-You-Go plan may be presented: "Customer will receive delivery every week and will be billed every week."
- Order fulfillment frequency: Prepaid subscription order fulfillment period between two fulfillments. A minimum of 1 and days/weeks/months/years are allowed. For example, suppose you choose a fulfillment frequency of one month (and a billing frequency of twelve months). In that case, the product/service must be provided every month until the conclusion of the twelve-month billing period.
- Billing frequency: This is the period during which the consumer will pay in advance. For example, if you set the delivery frequency to one week and the payment term to 12 weeks, your clients will be paid for 12 weeks while receiving deliveries once a week.
- Subscription renewal day: The day on which the subscription should be renewed.
When you're done, click the "Next" button to go to the next stage.
Step 3: Live With Appstle Subscription Widget
To launch your subscriptions and allow customers to subscribe, activate Appstle's integrated block on your live theme. This lets them set up the Subscription widget on product sites with subscription plans.
Follow these steps:
First, select the "Go to Shopify" icon below to access the current theme builder for your shop.
Then, on the left-hand side, turn on the Appstle Subscriptions app embedding.
Finally, press the "Save" option in the upper right corner to save your changes.
Success! That is it! You're ready to begin selling memberships with Appstle memberships.
Tips For Creating Your Subscription Shopify Store Effective
Your storefront is the gateway to prospective subscribers in the digital marketplace. Everything from design details to strategic placements affects a smooth and engaging subscription experience.
We'll explore a wealth of techniques to make your Shopify subscription shop more successful and appealing. If you're new to eCommerce or an eCommerce pro, these strategies will help you build a subscription company that converts:
Clear Subscription Benefits
Buyers need to realize its worth before they can enjoy your Shopify subscription box's chosen goodies. Here's how to highlight your subscription's perks with appealing clarity:
First, define the "Why" by focusing on transformation, not features! Explain how your membership improves lives, solves issues, or fires passions.
For example, "Elevate your culinary skills with expertly curated ingredients and chef-guided recipes" over "Monthly delivery of spices and gourmet foods."
Remember, quantify value! Show how time, skills, and money may be saved over individual purchases. Unquestionably demonstrate value.
Finally, describe the subscription procedure, from selecting a tier to maintaining their account. Make it a smooth and rewarding experience.
Remember, accurately articulating the advantages of your subscription box is more than simply marketing; it's about building a relationship with your clients. Highlighting the transforming impact of your product, giving a clear image of the experiences it opens, and catering to their requirements may reveal the actual worth of your boxed gems and spark a wave of devoted memberships.
Use Target-Customer Marketing Strategy
In this digital era, there are limitless marketing opportunities. You should choose the appropriate marketing approach and concentrate on the most relevant channel to your target demographic.
Furthermore, collaborate with micro-influencers whose audience and ideals are compatible with your own. Their genuine excitement and product recommendations may foster confidence and attract eligible subscribers. Consider sending subscription boxes for unpacking videos, product reviews, or co-created content.
Different platforms cater to various modes of involvement.
For example, you can reach young Gen Zers who are interested in K-beauty items on Instagram and TikTok. Invite Korean beauty instructional micro-influencers to hold interactive competitions or live Q&As on these sites.
Also, reach out to prospective writers via writing forums and critique groups. Provide free writing tools or hold online seminars to illustrate your skills and highlight the worth of your writing-themed subscription box.
Creating the Perfect Subscription Box Display Page
Did you know that it takes more than 50 milliseconds (0.05 seconds) for consumers to develop an opinion about your website? A user just needs 05 seconds to decide whether they like your site and will remain.
That is why a subscription landing page is a must-have for more conversions. You should design a page to demonstrate the advantages of a full-color subscription. The menu's subscription option may fascinate occasional consumers. This page is your opportunity to convince them.
How to create a professional, convincing page that gets results:
First, be a headlines master marketer by writing it clarity and conciseness. Also, highlight the value proposition. Briefly yet forcefully explain the advantages of your subscription.
Bespoke Post is a fantastic example of a compelling and convincing subscription display page. Their headline: "The Best Box You Will Open All Mouth." This is a clear value proposition with simple explanations, stunning imagery, and a well-chosen collection of high-end items.
Finally, don't simply list characteristics; paint a picture! Use evocative descriptions to elicit the feelings and sensations that your membership guarantees.
Using EComposer Builder to Display the Ideal Subscription Box Page
Want to construct an attractive subscription website but don't know where to begin? The EComposer Landing Page Builder is your hero. This Shopify Builder helps you create your ideal subscription display page that captures attention in seconds and converts like a charm.
- Headline Like a Boss: Use EComposer's drag-and-drop layout to build a bold, benefit-driven headline that instantly grabs attention.
- Paint a Picture of Boxy Bliss: EComposer's design library is brimming with beautiful page layouts and pre-built sections. Choose one that exemplifies your subscription's magic - overflowing boxes, happy customers, and intriguing product photos.
- Tell Your Boxy Story: EComposer's live text editor allows you to create captivating descriptions that showcase the feelings and sensations your membership provides. Use the built-in social feed features to share client testimonials and provide social evidence.
- Optimize Like a Pro: EComposer's Page Analytics shows page performance. Use this information to A/B test headlines, adjust button positions, and tailor your offer to increase conversions.
Bonus Tip: Leverage EComposer's AI Content Generator to write basic descriptions or product tales, then customize them with your distinctive boxed magic!
Claim your free EComposer trial now!
1. Do I Need A Separate App For Subscriptions On Shopify?
It depends on your individual requirements and objectives. While Shopify provides basic recurring charging features, employing separate software for subscriptions typically opens up a whole new level of power and flexibility.
If you're just starting out with a small subscription service, Shopify's minimal features may suffice. However, for most firms, the benefits of a specialized subscription app outweigh the disadvantages, particularly if:
- Offer multiple products or variations within your subscription.
- Want to create different subscription tiers with unique benefits.
- Value detailed analytics and data insights.
- Plan to scale your subscription business in the future.
Consider your budget, goals, and future ambitions when choosing a Shopify subscription box strategy. Remember, a solid subscription app can expand your boxy empire.
2. Can I Integrate My Subscription Service With Other Marketing And CRM Tools?
Absolutely! Integrating your Shopify subscription service with other marketing and CRM platforms may transform your productivity, customer experience, and revenues.
Popular Integration Options:
- CRM: HubSpot, Salesforce, Zoho CRM
- Marketing Tools: Mailchimp, Klaviyo, ActiveCampaign, Constant Contact.
- Additional Tools: Zapier (creates connections between various tools), Recharge (subscription app with built-in marketing features)
Integration needs careful preparation and setup. Define your objectives, pick the correct tools, and integrate data. It's an investment, but better processes, customer experiences, and outcomes may boost your subscription company.
3. How Do I Track The Success Of My Subscription Service?
Measuring the success of your subscription service goes beyond just counting boxes shipped. It's a continuous process of analyzing key metrics across different stages of the customer journey to understand what's working, what's not, and how to optimize your offering for sustainable growth. Here's a comprehensive guide to tracking your subscription success:
- Customer Acquisition Cost (CAC): Track subscriber acquisition expenses. Compare this to your ARPU to guarantee profitability.
- Monitor the proportion of visitors who become subscribers. Analyze trends to find conversion bottlenecks and improve landing pages, CTAs, and marketing efforts.
- Lead gen sources: Determine which platforms (social media, email marketing, influencer partnerships) attract new consumers best. Concentrate on winners and alter methods for losers.
Use the following tools:
- Built-in Shopify analytics give basic sales, traffic, and customer activity information.
- Subscription App Analytics: Most subscription applications include tier-specific conversion rates, product popularity, churn triggers, and revenue metrics.
- Google Analytics: Monitors website traffic and activity. Learn how people discover your subscription and enhance their experience.
- Email Analytics: Track open, click-through, and unsubscribe rates to optimize subscriber communication.
Remember: Success tracking is a continuous process. Monitoring data, iterating methods, and responding to user feedback can help you improve your subscription service, retain clients, and grow your boxy empire. Use knowledge to evaluate and watch your subscription success skyrocket!
The Bottom Line
In wrapping up our guide on setting up a subscription service on Shopify in just three simple steps, it's evident that venturing into the world of recurring revenue is achievable and can be a game-changer for your eCommerce business.
We've simplified subscription success into three phases. From setting the stage to integrating smooth paying and pleasing clients with good content, these stages build a strong subscription business.
But why settle for the basics when you can amplify your Shopify experience? Consider exploring additional tools and resources, like EComposer Builder, to elevate your subscription service's aesthetic and functional aspects.
Ready to Elevate Your Shopify Store? Supercharge with EComposer Now!